LATIN HERITAGE MONTH: A CELEBRATION OF COLOR AND CULTURE
October 16, 2023
In celebration of Latin Heritage Month (observed from September 15th through October 15th), UNiDOS, the Centric Brands Latin and Caribbean Heritage Employee Resource Group, organized company-wide programming, which included office events, cultural activities, and a library of educational resources for associates to enjoy all month long.
See below for highlights from the month:
- UNiDOS hosted an in-person mercado pop-up shop, across all North America offices, that showcased hand-made crafts and products, created by UNiDOS members. At the pop-up, associates enjoyed Latin food and made “Cards to the Departed” inspired by the Day of the Dead.
- Creators for a Cause, the Centric Cares internal product series, welcomed back UNiDOS as September’s resident artist group. Associates were able to shop the items that were displayed at the mercado pop-up shops, with 100% of the proceeds donated to:
- New York City: Make the Road New York(MRNY), the largest progressive grassroots immigrant-led organization in New York State, working on workers’, immigrant and civil rights, environmental and housing justice and more.
- Greensboro: Casa Azul promotes Latin-American arts and culture, fosters community involvement and enhances understanding of Latinos.
- Los Angeles: Para Los Niños, fostering academic success for every Latino student through parent and community involvement.
- Montréal: Centro de Familias Latino-Americanas (CAFLA), offers its clientele first-line community services and sets up specific projects aimed at supporting young people and their families in their process of integration into Quebec society.
- In partnership with Unexpected Virtual Tours, associates joined an immersive and interactive experience that traced the history and influence of Latin culture throughout the centuries in St. Augustine, Florida, and Austin Texas, while virtually exploring historical landmarks in the oldest Latin communities.
- Through Centric Brands’ LinkedIn Learning resources, associates participated in courses that celebrated and appreciated Latin culture. Classes included:
- Developing Cross-Cultural Intelligence
- Color and Cultural Connections
- How to Succeed as a Latina in a Global Work Environment
- Latin Music and the Clave
- To honor Latin Heritage Month, The DEI Book Club selected La Hacienda, by Isabel Cañas, as their book of choice for the month and purchased all copies from The Lit Bar, a Black and Puerto-Rican owned bookstore in the Bronx.
At Centric Brands, we are committed to fostering a community based upon inclusivity, unity, and respect, embracing the complexities and contributions of all backgrounds and cultures.